I have been a beauty therapist trained in massage for over 20 years and recently have trained specifically to do pregnancy massage in Somerset. Below are some of the wonderful reasons why a massage whilst you are pregnant can benefit you:
- Stimulation of circulation – This will distribute essential nutrients and fluid to all the vital organs of the body, especially the placenta, which will feed and aid the development of the baby.
- Lymphatic drainage will eliminate toxins from the cells and blood and help reduce oedema, which can contributory factor in carpal tunnel and tarsal tunnel syndrome.
- Sluggish bowel movements are aided, helping to avoid constipation and haemorrhoids.
- Release compression on the nerves caused by muscle tension or oedema.
- Helps to avoid varicose veins from developing.
- Massage the intercostals and pectoral muscles will help the respiratory system and aid breathing during pregnancy and labour.
- Induces deep relaxation and peaceful sleep (It is reported that women that who sleep well during the last month of there pregnancy have shorter labours).
- Helps to reduce emotional stress, anxiety and creates a sense of well being.
- Helps lower or keep balanced blood pressure.
- Massage encourages the release of oxytocin. This is a pain reducing hormone providing vital relief of pain during labour and birth
Because sometimes the most urgent and vital thing you can possibly do
is to take some time for yourself!